Developers last letter

Public: Public discussion forum for Darkfall guild Relentless
Kingfish
Soldier
Eve-Online alias: Sinuhe2

Developers last letter

Post by Kingfish »

If you missed this link in alliance board, it is very interesting and promising to read. Main issues are that exploiters are banned, macroers are banned, using game geometry illegally (i.e. fighting from inside walls or landscape) wil be banned and afk using geometry will be banned (i.e. swimming / running against walls unattended). This will actually help a lot later in real launch if they have been able to detect most cheating systems in game.

Other interesting thing is that they have not started marketing the product but sold it only to community members. They are planning a box, marketing and actual "Buy game here" button to their site later. This propably means our server will be "old timer" server and later servers will be filled by newcomers only. I think those who start early will get some benefits in later stage as this seems sort of "beta mass test" server, where they feel out how server reacts to uncreasing number of players and figure out cheating systems before the actual noobs will come. IMO the approach is quite different from most other games I have tried and I think it will help the game last much longer as the hype and first month disappointment wont kill the game anymore after this type approach. If someone is still planning to join, now could be good time before they actually launch servers.

Read more.

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showth ... ost3434920
Sinuhe;AOC(2008),EVE(2007),Ogame(2007),Travian(2007),Vanguard(2006),LOTR(2007),WoW(2005),LineageII(2004),SWG(2004),AOL(2004)
Kingfish;DF(2009),SB(2008),TR(2007),EQ(1998-2007),DaoC(2003),PS(2003),UOL(2000),M59(1995),AW(1995)
Flexington;War (2008),SB(2003)
Stormhold
Lieutenant Colonel
Eve-Online alias: Stormhold

Re: Developers last letter

Post by Stormhold »

Paid beta, fuck yeah! Though that was pretty obvious right from the start, now it's official.

In my eyes this whole thing is nothing more than a very dirty trick of releasing an obviously beta stage game and then re-releasing it after few months. They could've atleast kept the beta that did exist as "closed beta" even by name and opened open beta to preorderers like everyone does nowadays anyway.
Viikinki
Ponyboy
Darkfall alias: Viikinki Rautavuori

Post by Viikinki »

Stormhold wrote:Paid beta, fuck yeah! Though that was pretty obvious right from the start, now it's official.
Well, in reality a product is no longer in beta unless the developing company says it is, no matter how unfinished it feels or is. Darkfall hasn't felt too unfinished for me ever and I started from launch, I could argue my points but it would take a long while. It's been remarkably stable for one, stablest MMO launch I've ever seen.
In my eyes this whole thing is nothing more than a very dirty trick of releasing an obviously beta stage game and then re-releasing it after few months.
There might be some truth to that, but I've never felt that way playing. Beta stage? Not really. Every game has been pretty much as unbalanced on launch. The most I've been reminded of this possible beta stage crap is the rampant exploiting that was going on in the beginning. Not that it bothered me either but it happened, yes.
They could've atleast kept the beta that did exist as "closed beta" even by name and opened open beta to preorderers like everyone does nowadays anyway.
How do you know what they could have? Maybe their investors said LAUNCH NOW, which is probably what happened. I doubt any company is any rush to release a non-finished product if it were not for outside influences.

All that said, the game is great, welcome in:)
Nepenthe
Soldier with lubricant

Post by Nepenthe »

Well i will start after the summer.
Ill let the game evolve a bit..or tbh i just dont have the time or kicks to play in the summer at all :D

But imho the game needs 1 grieffer more...or 2... :shock:
Viikinki
Ponyboy
Darkfall alias: Viikinki Rautavuori

Post by Viikinki »

Nepenthe wrote: But imho the game needs 1 grieffer more...or 2... :shock:
I've found griefing to be mostly boring in this game and there are not very great tools to grief with.

Some people abuse the system to cause pain on others but it's very few who get anything out of it. Then again, there are so many definitions of the word 'griefer' I have no idea which one you are referring to:)
Raivotar
Lieutenant Colonel
Eve-Online alias: Raivotar
WoW alias: Raivotar/Nuitari
Waralias: Raivo
Darkfall alias: Raivo Astarot

Post by Raivotar »

Darkfall needs BootyBay Police that check ID's... all the time. :lol:
RankOne
Lieutenant
WoT: rankone

Post by RankOne »

Raivotar wrote:Darkfall needs BootyBay Police that check ID's... all the time. :lol:
"Paperit! Paperit!!"

Those were the days...